Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Brief research update

My plan to keep this blog updated regularly hasn't gone too well so far, but I have been busy behind the scenes gathering more sources and managing my bibliography. Since my last post I've had my first tutorial, been back to NCAD library twice and attended the Douglas Hyde Conference (more later on it).

Some new additions to my reading list include:
  • Jim Gleeson's (2010) Curriculum in Context: Partnership, Power and Praxis in Ireland which has only one index entry for Arts Education, but should be of interest as it is an up-to-date examination of the socio-cultural and policy contexts of the Irish curriculum. 
  • Daniel Murphy's (1987) report into Education and the Arts which presents research into 'various aspects of the educational process from the standpoint of the creative artist' (p.5), interviewing 'virtually the entire Irish artistic community' (p.5).
  • Art and Human Development (2010) edited by Constance Milbrath and Cynthia Lightfoot which explores the role of art in the construction of knowledge.
  • Anne Bamford's The Wow Factor (2009) which presents global research into the impact of the arts in education
  • I've also been watching episodes of the BBC series How Art Made the World (available at http://art.docuwat.ch/videos/) and I've ordered the accompanying book by Nigel Spivey (2006) How Art Made the World: A Journey to the Origins of Human Creativity

No comments:

Post a Comment